Department of Industrial Support Services
- State Department of Investment and Industry
- Hits: 4325
Headed by Mr. Erastus Kimuri
Functions of the Department
- Promote and coordinate industrial R&D activities and initiatives with a view to ensuring the results are utilized and R&D findings are commercialized.
- Co-ordinate development of a framework for industrial incubation.
- Identify causes for factory closures, reduced capacity utilization and propose remedial measures to mitigate against the same.
- Strengthen production capacity and local content of domestically manufactured goods.
- To identify and promote niche products for marketing.
- To promote increase in the registration of industrial property rights.
- Implementation of One Village One Product (OVOP) programme.
- Coordination of activities related to the implementation of the Private Sector Development Strategy (PSDS).
Objectives of the Department
- Promoting the utilization of the Intellectual Property system and the Commercialization of Industrial Research findings.
- Developing and promoting the implementation of industrial incubation programmes; and
- Provide appropriate support to industrial enterprises for optimum capacity utilization.
- Promotion of One Village One Product Programme (OVOP) for Promotion of growth and competitiveness of Micro, Small and Medium Industries (MSMIs).
Some of the activities undertaken by the Department are:-
- Promotion of sub-contracting opportunities.
- Capacity building in value addition, marketing, branding, Packaging and Business Plan preparation.
- Capacity building on technology upgrading.